Our guests often ask us for local recommendations – places to go, things to see and restaurants to try. We recently released our new guest app – Starfish Vacation Rentals’ Insiders Guide to help inspire you to take full advantage of the Oregon Coast. You can find it in Google Play or the iTunes app stores for free – just search Starfish Vacation Rentals. Here is a sneak preview of a few of our favorites.
The Great Outdoors!
• While Haystack Rock is the granddaddy of monoliths in the area, Three Graces near Garibaldi showcases a similar variety of sea life and birds, all without the crowds. The last time we visited, my son happened upon an eel! Be sure to go during low tide or you won’t be able to get close to the rocks.
• What could be more fun than climbing a giant dune? Not much, according to the Kittell family! Pacific City provides an entire day of fun (and exercise) climbing the dune and then “surfing” down. The views from the top are incredible and the sunsets magnificent. Also home to the annual longboard Classic – this year September 19-21st. Some great surfing action!
• Nehalem Bay offers all kinds of water recreation as well as sea life viewing. Recently we rented kayaks and paddleboards from Wheeler Marina and explored the bay up close. Another of our favorite activities is renting a boat and catching crab to take back to the house.
• The annual Arch Cape Polar Bear Plunge… it’s a New Year’s Day tradition and sure to cure any hangover!
• There are so many great hikes that we recommend in the area, it’s difficult to choose just one favorite. One in particular that is moderate in difficulty and rewards you with some spectacular views is a hike to the top of Neahkahnie Mountain. The loop is 5.4 miles and is speckled with some of the most incredible views on the coast.
The Great Indoors!
• All this outdoor activity can really make a person hungry, so get fueled up with breakfast at Wanda’s Café. They must be cooking something right, because the line is nearly always out the door.
• Oregonians take their coffee seriously (right up there with beer). Not surprisingly, we have two favorite coffee shops, both that roast their own beans locally. Sleepy Monk Coffee in Cannon Beach serves up delicious organic coffee and some pretty tasty treats too. The complementary coffee found in our homes comes from Columbia River Coffee Roasters in Astoria. We’ve had more than one guest tell us it was their favorite coffee ever. If you visit Astoria (which we also recommend for its rich history), be sure to stop in to their tasting room. Otherwise, visit their website to have some shipped to you.
• Lastly, a favorites list wouldn’t be complete without mention of Bruce’s Candy Kitchen. Watch the award-winning taffy being made in their old-fashioned candy kitchen. It’s a Cannon Beach institution, and sure to make your visit to the coast a little sweeter!
If you’ve missed any of these great spots along the coast, we hope you’ll be back soon! Give us a call to reserve your perfect vacation home.