Things to Do in Cannon Beach, Oregon
Cannon Beach is a city known for its friendly residents, amazing restaurants, and strong artist community. In fact, Cannon Beach was named one of America’s Best 100 Art Towns! No matter the reason for your visit, you’ll find plenty of fantastic things to do in Cannon Beach. Plus, when you stay at one of our luxury beach rentals, you’ll be just a short walk from many of these wonderful attractions.
Are you looking for even more things to do in Cannon Beach? Access our free Vacation Guide. We’ve listed our favorite restaurants, museums, historic sites, and other great attractions in Cannon Beach as well as Manzanita, Arch Cape, Rockaway Beach, and other beautiful towns and cities along the Oregon Coast.
The Best Things to do in Cannon Beach
Start Your Day Off the Right Way
If you can’t imagine starting your day without a cup of coffee, you’re in luck! Cannon Beach coffee shops are among the best in the state. From classic Italian preparations to innovative roasts, you’re sure to find something delicious to sip and savor during your trip. Discover where to find the best coffee and breakfast in Cannon Beach.
- Sea Level Bakery + Coffee: With an outstanding selection of French-style breads and pastries expertly baked onsite as well as sandwiches, soups, and other lunch items, you could easily spend your whole morning relaxing at this cute shop. The coffee is outstanding, sourced from Portland’s famed Heart Roasters. Check out their weekly selection at the pour over bar.
- Insomnia Coffee Co.: Their Cannon Beach location is just one block from the shoreline, the perfect break from a day of exploring the beach. Insomnia Coffee Co. features a selection of teas, coffees, espressos, and pastries on its menu.
- Sleepy Monk: At Sleepy Monk Coffee Roaster, you’ll find a selection of internationally-sourced organic beans that are roasted onsite in small batches for maximum flavor! Their menu is varied, with delicious fresh pastries including gluten-free treats.
Enjoy a Delicious Meal
Chances are you’ll want to check out some local Cannon Beach restaurants during your stay. Whether you’re in the mood for a casual brunch or a sit-down dinner, our charming coast town has plenty of choices. Here are a few of our favorite places to eat in Cannon Beach:
- The Irish Table: An intimate, pub-style restaurant with excellent meat and fish dishes
- EVOO: Enjoy incredible, high-quality food, prepared right it in front of you.
- Castaways Restaurant & Tiki Bar: This local favorite has fantastic Cajun and Caribbean food
- Cannon Beach Hardware and Public House: That’s right: it’s a hardware store that doubles as a casual sports bar with traditional American food
- Newmans at 988: Visit Newmans at 988 for exquisite French and Italian cuisine, right in the heart of Cannon Beach. Elegant preparation make this the perfect stop for that special night out.
- Cannon Beach Cafe: This Parisian-style cafe and restaurant is right near the entrance to Haystack Rock
- Lazy Suzan Cafe: Discover why visitors from around the country rave about this delicious breakfast and lunch spot.
- Wayfarer Restaurant & Lounge: Enjoy the warm woodsy atmosphere, great salmon, and a gorgeous view of Haystack Rock. Without a doubt, this is one of the best Cannon Beach seafood restaurants.
- Sweet Basil’s Cafe: This downtown Cannon Beach join is a fun, quirky place with sandwiches and wraps.
- Mo’s: Mo’s is serving up spectacular oceanfront views and clam chowder served in a bread bowl.
- The Oil & Vinegar Bar: It’s a tasting bar, not a restaurant, but if you love oil and vinegar, you won’t want to miss this place. Olive oil aficionados love it!
It should come to no surprise that one of the most popular things to do in Cannon Beach is to spend time by the shoreline. Check out this Oregon Coast tide chart so you can better plan your day on the beach. During low tide, many guests love to observe the famed Puffins and tide pools at Haystack Rock or walk along the beach. During the summer months try riding a FUNCycle for some great family fun and exercise. During high tide, you may be able to see kitesurfers among the waves.
Ecola State Park: Follow in the footsteps of Captain William Clark of the Lewis and Clark expedition! Ecola State Park features lush forests, coastal mountains, and grassy bluffs that overlooking the ocean. During the winter and spring, you might even be able to see whales migrating! This park will also give you a great view of Haystack Rock, one of the most iconic landmarks in town. You may recognize it from the opening scene of The Goonies. If you head to the top of Tillamook Head Trail, you’ll be able to see another popular landmark, Tillamook Rock Lighthouse.
Cannon Beach has no shortage of shops, art galleries, and boutiques. You’ll find plenty of great options when it comes to Cannon Beach shopping. Explore the various wine shops, antique shops, and art galleries throughout Cannon Beach. This list barely scratches the surface:
- Found: You’ll see antiques, handmade jewelry, stained glass, and other knick-knacks in this cute family-owned shop.
- Steidel’s Art: This little gallery is filled with fanciful paintings, all original. Not your style? Cannon Beach has plenty of other art galleries to choose from.
- Jupiter’s Rare and Used Books: Don’t let the small exterior fool you; this place is packed with books from every genre.
- Sesame and Lilies: A beautiful presentation of home decor, kitchenware, accessories, and clothing items.
- La Luna Loca: Stylish, comfortable clothing, leather goods, and cute accessories
- Bruce’s Candy Kitchen: Satisfy your sweet tooth at Bruce’s Candy Kitchen! This is the perfect place to get your saltwater taffy fix. It’s also fun to watch the candy being made on their old-fashioned taffy machine.
Other Great Attractions
Looking for other relaxing Cannon Beach activities? Cannon Beach Yoga Arts offers fun classes for every ability level. Or catch a show at the Coaster Theatre Playhouse. Another great option is visiting one of the local Cannon Beach spas! You can also book a massage at your home through our guest services.
How to Find Cannon Beach
Need directions? Cannon Beach is an easy hour and a half drive from Portland. Take US-26 West for about 74 miles then merge on to US-101 South. After about 4 miles, turn right onto Sunset Blvd, and you’re in Cannon Beach. Click here for Google Maps directions.
Book with Starfish Vacation Rentals
Are you ready to experience these wonderful things to do in Cannon Beach for yourself? Book one of the luxury properties from Starfish Vacation Rentals. Our oceanfront and ocean-view homes are the perfect havens for any traveler. Enjoy top-notch amenities, a convenient location, comfortable accommodations, and a gorgeous view when you book with us.