Things to Do in Rockaway Beach, Oregon
Do you long to wiggle your toes in 7 miles of silky sand? Then you need our Rockaway Beach rentals! They’re perfect whether you’re getting out of town with the girls or reconnecting with extended family. Rockaway Beach, Oregon is nestled between Tillamook (yes, of the famous cheese) and Cannon Beach, less than 2 hours west of Portland. It’s peaceful and unspoilt, a refreshing change of pace.
Our Rockaway Beach rentals treat you to luxurious amenities and incredible views. Watch the sun slip down over Twin Rocks, or soak up warm rays on a private balcony. Barbeque and then dine al fresco with the ocean as your soundtrack.
Some of our Rockaway Beach vacation rentals feature floor-to-ceiling windows and multiple decks. Others have a piano, Wii, Jacuzzi soaking tub, or telescope for stargazing. All of them have gourmet kitchens, free wi-fi, TVs and DVD players, fireplaces or stoves, and everything else you need in your home away from home.
Vacationing at one of our Rockaway Beach rentals is the ultimate in luxury. Sink into plush, high-end furnishings and enjoy high-end linens. Arrive to find your grocery list already stocked in the kitchen, if you like.
We pride ourselves on concierge-level service, including recommendations of kid-friendly activities, local hikes, and romantic dinner spots. If you’d like an incredible meal without leaving the house, we can coordinate with a local chef to make you dinner in the comfort of your vacation rental. Or we can arrange for a local bakery to deliver a birthday cake. Don’t worry about a thing. Whatever you’re celebrating, whatever you need, we’ll plan it — all you have to do is relax!
Things to Do in Rockaway Beach, Oregon
Rockaway Beach is unlike other beaches along the Oregon coast. Rockaway Beach is the perfect family retreat and for those traveling with children. There are many things to do in Rockaway Beach, Oregon for kids as well as adults. Curious what more Rockaway Beach offers? Here are a few ideas:
Rockaway Beach is perfect for flying kites, taking long walks, building sandcastles, and cuddling in front of a bonfire. Scout for treasures in the sand, or simply stretch out and watch the kids. The list of Rockaway Beach activities and attractions is endless.
Fancy a trip on an old-fashioned steam engine? Take a relaxing 5-mile ride on the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad from Rockaway Beach to Garibaldi (or vice versa). You can even make it a date with a three-hour dinner train ride. Check the schedule here.
The great outdoors offers plenty of things to do in Rockaway Beach, Oregon. If you love adventure, just a five-minute drive north of Rockaway Beach is Nehalem Bay, where you can try crabbing, clamming, fishing, and kayaking. Go crabbing at Kelly’s Brighton Marina, explore Oswald West State Park, visit Cape Mears Lighthouse, or hike Neahkahnie Mountain (we can recommend trails).
South of Rockaway Beach is Tillamook, with the famous Tillamook Cheese Factory. Make sure you try the ice cream! Manzanita and Cannon Beach are to the north. Three Graces Tide Pools and Short Sands Beach, a surfer’s paradise, are also just a short drive away.
Guests in our Rockaway Beach vacation rentals often ask for restaurant recommendations. Here are a few restaurants in Rockaway Beach and their specialties:
- Offshore Grill and Coffeehouse: Everyone loves this cute little spot with friendly service, delicious breakfast and lunch, and reasonable prices!
- Old Oregon Smokehouse: A beloved seafood place. Don’t let the “beachside crab shack” ambiance fool you — the fish is fresh, delicious, and served with a smile.
- Rick’s Roadhouse: This bar & grill has karaoke in addition to seafood favorites.
- Lakeside Hideaway: A restaurant and sports bar offering clam chowder, pasta, burgers, beer, and karaoke.
- Hawaiian Style: This is your spot for teriyaki chicken, rice, macaroni salad, and pineapple rings.
- Sand Dollar Restaurant & Lounge: Enjoy the oceanfront view, seafood, and burgers.
- Cow Belle Cafe: Greasy-spoon diner dominated by cow decor.
- Grumpy’s Cafe: Giant pancakes, but the service is said to match the name.
- Upper Crust Pizza: A cash-only pizza place with gluten-free options.
- Dragonfly Sisters Espresso: This cash-only coffee spot has excellent scones.
- The Picnic Basket: Grab ice cream or saltwater taffy only two minutes from the beach.
Take a break from the attractions and enjoy some shopping in Rockaway Beach. From antiques to saltwater taffy, the funky shops in Rockaway Beach will keep you entertained. Here are a few:
- The Frugal Crow: A mix of vintage finds and locally made goods. Reasonable prices and always friendly service.
- Flamingo Jim’s: This gift shop has been around for almost 40 years. Souvenirs, postcards, kites, candy, and more.
- Richard’s Metaphysicals: Quirky gifts and handcrafted items. Antiques, birdhouses, vintage photos, handmade fused glass jewelry, and picture framing.
- Sea Breeze Gifts: Another gift shop. Tillamook ice cream, fudge, taffy, kites, and toys.
- Beach Crafters Mall: Peruse the crafts and pick up a bag of seashells for arts and crafts projects.
- Trash & Treasures: Antiques and collectibles, including glasswork, vintage finds, jewelry, gifts, toys, and games.
- Washed Ashore Arts, Crafts, & More: Glass art, blacksmithery, tie-dye, and other creations from more than 40 vendors.
You don’t have to do anything at all! Or venture out on the beach one morning to try meditation or yoga on the sand. Kick back with a fun paperback, or hole up inside by the fire for board game night if it’s rainy. Even though the list of things to do in Rockaway Beach, Oregon is extensive, simply relax and enjoy the scenery. Wander the coastline and snap some photos. Or grab some snacks from a local coffee shop and enjoy a mini-picnic on the beach. Even simple things are luxurious at the coast!
How to Find Our Rockaway Beach Rentals
Need directions? Rockaway Beach is 87 miles from Portland, about an hour and 45 minutes away. Take US-26 West for about 20 miles, then make a slight left onto US 6 West, following signs for Banks/Tillamook. After 49 miles, turn right onto Wilson River Loop and left on Latimer. Then turn right onto 101 North. After 13 miles, you’ll arrive in Rockaway Beach. Click for directions on Google Maps.
We know you’ll love everything the Rockaway area has to offer.
Starfish Vacation Rentals – Rockaway