Things to Do in Rockaway Beach, Oregon
The cozy seaside town of Rockaway Beach is the perfect destination for quiet vacations with family and friends. From exploring the coastline to enjoying some of the unique attractions around town, there are countless things to do in Rockaway Beach. Get a preview of some of our favorite activities around town!
Things to Do in Rockaway Beach, Oregon
Rockaway Beach is unlike other beaches along the Oregon coast. Since there are so many wonderful things to do in town for kids, this is the perfect annual trip with the whole family. Are you curious about what more Rockaway Beach offers? Here are a few ideas:
Explore the Coastline
- It should come to no surprise that one of the most popular things to do in our quiet town is to spend time on the beach! The coast is perfect for flying kites, taking long walks, building sandcastles, and cuddling in front of a bonfire. The kids will love scouting for treasures on the sand, and you’ll enjoy relaxing with your loved one and a good book!
- Another great spot for beachfront fun is Nehalem Bay, which is five minutes from Rockaway Beach. Locals and visitors alike come here for crabbing, clamming, fishing, and kayaking. Kelly’s Brighton Marina is an especially popular spot.
- If you’d like to hike during your Rockaway Beach vacation, Oswald West State Park, Cape Mears Lighthouse, and Neahkahnie Mountain are fantastic starting points. We are happy to recommend trails if you’re interested!
- Three Graces Tide Pools and Short Sands Beach, a surfer’s paradise, are also just a short drive away.
Enjoy Unique Attractions
- Fancy a trip on an old-fashioned steam engine? Take a relaxing five-mile ride on the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad from Rockaway Beach to Garibaldi (or vice versa). You can even make it a date with a three-hour dinner train ride. Check the schedule here.
- South of Rockaway Beach is Tillamook, with the famous and newly remodeled Tillamook Cheese Factory. Make sure you try the ice cream!
Guests in our Rockaway Beach vacation rentals often ask for restaurant recommendations. Here are a few restaurants in Rockaway Beach and their specialties:
- Offshore Grill and Coffeehouse: Everyone loves this cute little spot with friendly service, delicious breakfast and lunch, and reasonable prices!
- Lakeside Hideaway: A restaurant and sports bar offering clam chowder, pasta, burgers, beer, and karaoke.
- Sand Dollar Restaurant & Lounge: Enjoy the oceanfront view, with a side of fresh seafood and delicious burgers.
- Grumpy’s Cafe: If you’re interested in giant pancakes, there’s no place better.
Take a break from the attractions and enjoy some shopping in Rockaway Beach. From antiques to saltwater taffy, the funky shops in Rockaway Beach will keep you entertained. Here are a few:
- The Frugal Crow: A mix of vintage finds and locally made goods. Reasonable prices and always friendly service.
- Flamingo Jim’s: This gift shop has been around for almost 40 years. Souvenirs, postcards, kites, candy, and more.
- Richard’s Metaphysicals: Quirky gifts and handcrafted items. Antiques, birdhouses, vintage photos, handmade fused glass jewelry, and picture framing.
- Sea Breeze Gifts: Another gift shop. Tillamook ice cream, fudge, taffy, kites, and toys.
- Beach Crafters Mall: Peruse the crafts and pick up a bag of seashells for arts and crafts projects.
- Trash & Treasures: Antiques and collectibles, including glasswork, vintage finds, jewelry, gifts, toys, and games.
- Washed Ashore Arts, Crafts, & More: Glass art, blacksmithery, tie-dye, and other creations from more than 40 vendors.
You don’t have to do anything at all! Or venture out on the beach one morning to try meditation or yoga on the sand. Kick back with a fun paperback, or hole up inside by the fire for board game night if it’s rainy. Even though the list of things to do in Rockaway Beach, Oregon is extensive, simply relax and enjoy the scenery. Wander the coastline and snap some photos. Or grab some snacks from a local coffee shop and enjoy a mini-picnic on the beach. Even simple things are luxurious at the coast!
How to Find Our Rockaway Beach Rentals
Need directions? Rockaway Beach is 87 miles from Portland, about an hour and 45 minutes away. Take US-26 West for about 20 miles, then make a slight left onto US 6 West, following signs for Banks/Tillamook. After 49 miles, turn right onto Wilson River Loop and left on Latimer. Then turn right onto 101 North. After 13 miles, you’ll arrive in Rockaway Beach. Click for directions on Google Maps.
We know you’ll love everything the Rockaway area has to offer.
Starfish Vacation Rentals – Rockaway