Things to Do in Portland, Oregon
Portland has so much to offer that there’s no way to see and do it all in one visit. With so many things to do in Portland, you’ll want to make sure to fit in as many activities and attractions as possible. Here’s a sampling of options to get you started.
- Powell’s Books—Consistently ranked as one of the best bookstores in the world, Powell’s has several locations around the city selling new and used books. For the most comprehensive experience, visit Powell’s City of Books.
- Pearl District—This hip shopping and dining area near downtown has something for everyone. If you’re in town at the beginning of the month, check out First Thursday for special gallery exhibits, wine tastings, and more.
- Gardens—It’s hard to find lovelier or more authentic examples of formal Asian gardens without flying across the Pacific. Portland Japanese Garden and Lan Su Chinese Garden offer a cultural, artistic, and horticultural experience for visitors.These two beautiful gardens are some of the best things to do in Portland, Oregon to celebrate and appreciate horticulture.
- Portland Saturday Market—Open on Saturdays *and* Sundays from March through Christmas Eve, Portland Saturday Market is an open-air arts and crafts market featuring the work of hundreds of local artisans who produce everything from handmade jewelry and pottery to leatherwork and clothing.
- Breweries—Portland is famous for its beer, and for good reason! Stopping by a brewery for a freshly brewed beer is one of the best things to do in Portland, Oregon. Some of our favorite Portland breweries include 10 Barrel Brewing, Lucky Labrador Brewing Company, Ecliptic Brewing, and Hopworks Urban Brewery. Use pedal power to stop in at multiple brewpubs with a group from BrewCycle so that getting there is half the fun.
- Distilleries—In recent years, Portland has seen a distillery renaissance. Its distillers produce innovative, top-quality liquors and welcome visitors to their locations on Distillery Row, where you can taste a variety of spirits.
- Food carts—With more than 600 food carts throughout the city, it’s easy to find seriously good food coming out of the tiniest kitchens. You’ll have a great time at Tidbit Food Farm and Garden, SW 10th & Alder, and other food cart pods.
- Restaurants galore—From Vietnamese to Russian to Mexican, Portland has it all. Favorites include Yama Sushi & Sake Bar for creative Japanese food, Andina for Peruvian tapas, Pok Pok for acclaimed and unusual Thai, and Bollywood Theater for Indian street food.
- Coffee—Portland is home to a myriad of local roasters. Stumptown Coffee is the king of them all, but smaller Coava Coffee Roasters and Blue Kangaroo Coffee Roasters are equally worthy of your business.
- Donuts—The tasty (and often outlandish) creations at Voodoo Donut have a special place in the hearts of Portland visitors. Locals would also urge you to try Coco Donuts, Blue Star Donuts and Pip’s Original Doughnuts to taste the range of Portland’s fried breakfast treats.
- Columbia River Gorge—Breathtaking waterfalls, lovely wildflower hikes, picturesque apple orchards, world-class windsurfing…you’ll find it all just a short drive east of Portland. The Columbia River Gorge is a sought-after Portland, OR attraction for many. This National Scenic Area is a breathtaking experience you won’t soon forget.
- Mt. Hood—Year-round snow sports, historic Timberline Lodge, and hiking and mountain biking galore are all yours about an hour southeast of Portland.
- Wineries—Oregon boasts 18 distinct wine regions, each with its own style and scenery. Wine tasting is an exciting thing to do in Portland, OR because wine tasting here is more personal and welcoming than elsewhere in the country. In many cases, you’ll chat with the winemakers themselves as you sip their world-renowned pinot noir or bright, crisp Chardonnay.
- Oregon Coast—The rugged and hypnotizing Oregon Coast is just over the Coastal Range to the west and offers everything from family beaches in Seaside and Cannon Beach to surfing at Oswald West State Park and amazing dunes in Florence.
We know you’ll love everything the Portland area has to offer.
Starfish Vacation Rentals – Portand